Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 214: Crater Lake National Park

I got up early this morning and made my way to Oregon; its been great California, but I got to go.

Wow, Oregon is really beautiful. I drove hard Northeast to get to the park, straight through large cow and sheep farms with the occasional horse running around, and rolling mountains in the backdrop. Small towns; old gas stations with the old silo looking gas pumps (its also illegal to pump your own gas); the road side caution signs are of deer, cattle, snowmobile, and horse rider cautions. I am already really liking this State!


Once I got to the Ranger Station, I got my permit and headed to the lake. This lake is no ordinary lake. Over 7,000 years ago Mount Mazama volcano began to erupt and caved in on itself. Over the thousands of years that followed, a combination of rain and snow created the lake that is here today. Since there is no other source of water or runoff running into the lake, it is regarded as one of the clearest lakes in the world, setting a record clarity of 142ft!! The lake is really amazing; there is even a small volcano on Wizard Island, which sits almost on the edge of the lake.


Once I got done checking out the lake, I headed down to my campsite. Once again, in the woods with nothing but nature; it is a pretty amazing experience. I thought that I would be spoiled by camping first in the Redwoods, while the trees aren't half as tall, it is still an amazing forest. After I ate dinner, I realized a terrible thing: I forgot my rope to hang up my food bag from bears. I can either take the four mile walk back at night and get the rope or figure something out. Next thing I know I'm halfway up a tree trying to tie up my food bag while not breaking my neck. With my food secured up a tree, I got a peaceful night sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment