Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 197: La Paz

So, I got up really early and got to Gravity Assisted's warehouse at 6am because this is what the lady at their office told me to do. Marcus was a little confused as to why I was over an hour early! Wow, I was pissed, I could have definitely gotten some MUCH need sleep eye, instead, I am just walking around in their warehouse for an hour. Eventually, we pick up the other guy that is going on the trip, an Australian who was actually on my Death Road tour; what are the odds?? We stopped off and grabbed some breakfast then headed off to begin our circuit for Size Matters.

We started off at 16,710ft above sea level and we were going to end in about 4-5 hours at 3,000ft above sea level. So yeah, quite a drop in a short amount of time. We started off at an old ski slope that has been abandoned because the glacier has melted away twenty years earlier than predicted. I was so excited to get started, my heart was racing!


This was a much more advanced course than Death Road; Marcus was always stopping and teaching how to approach the obstacles ahead. At one section, I couldn't even see where the ground was in front of me because the hill was so steep. While some parts were a bit scary, I never had a problem.

We eventually dropped from ice capped mountains to green filled valleys. It was so amazing! At one point the mountains almost surrounding us and the clouds were covering just the top of the mountains, so it was almost like we had a roof over us. This one view was arguably the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!


We stopped for lunch at the the local soccer field and had lunch. Since today is Bolivia's National Day, there was a big celebration going on and all the locals were out having fun. It was such a great midway stop for our trip.


After lunch was over, my arms became extremely sore. The downhill bumpy ride, became worse and worse on my body. luckily, before I knew it, the circuit was over. Man, It felt so gratifying to have completed that circuit! Once we got done with out celebratory beer and got piled into the van, Marcus told us he had a surprise waiting for us; we are riding into La Paz. Wow, I can't wait!

http://youtu.be/dV3mN3SO6N4

We got set up right on the outskirts of La Paz and headed in, using the speed bumps as a chance to grab some good air! I could not think of a better way to end our circuit and I definitely couldn't think of any other way to end my trip in Bolivia, or for that matter, outside of the US. Once we got into town, we loaded up the bikes and made our way back to the Gravity Assisted warehouse to exchange photos and stories.

Later that night, I headed back to my hostel. To explain how exhausted and sore I was, I slept in the bed with all my clean clothes, too lazy to push them into my locker.

No comments:

Post a Comment