Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 207: Sausalito

A good friend that I made while traveling in Vietnam, Crystal, and her boyfriend, Alex, just happened to be in San Francisco; I couldn't miss this rare and unbelievable chance to meet back up with her. I met up with them and one other friend, Caitlin, at a coffee joint.

Crystal and I spent part of the day exploring San Francisco. We walked around in Golden Gate Park, which is a beautiful massive park, similar to that of Central Park in Manhattan. We spent most of our time reliving our own travel experiences since Vietnam. It seems like yesterday Crystal, Boyd, and I payed some local to drop us off on an island in Ha Long Bay in the middle of the night.

We then made our way to China Town; not quite like the China I remember! We explored the whole area and then made our way up to Coit Tower. 


The tower is on Telegraph Hill, which boasts an amazing view of the city. San Francisco is a very hilly city, so it is hard to not only walk in this city, but also get a good view. We headed down the hill, towards the piers; the walk down was extremely long!

Unbeknownst to me, the American Cup is currently going on in San Francisco, so we made our way over to the pier where they were hosting the event to check it out. They really had a great set up on the pier, everything was really nice, yet getting in, hanging out, and watching the race was all free. We enjoyed some great local beer and watched replays of the race from earlier today on the big screens outside while we rested on the large bean bags they had layed out on the turf grass.


Afterwards, we met up with Alex at Fisherman's Wharf. Fisherman's Wharf is a pretty popular tourist destination in San Francisco, loaded with sea-based restaurants, novelty shops (ther was even a left hand only store!), and entertainers. 


While I was here, I did a tour of the USS Pampanito. The Pampanito served six tours during WWII in the Pacific. As you can imagine, the sumbarine was extremely small, I don't think I would have been of much use on this vessel!


It was getting rather late, so we only had a short amount of time to walk around and enjoy a sourdough bowl of clam chowder!

We headed into town and met back up with Caitlin for a great Thai dinner. After dinner, I made the drive across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. One thing about the US that is very different from the rest of the world is finding a place to sleep. Outside of the US, it was extremely easy to show up in a random city, get some wifi, and find a place to stay at a popular hostel in no time. On my way to San Francisco, I called all 18 hostels and all of them were full for at least the next 5 days... I was rather shocked tof ind this out. Luckily, I was able to find a place across the Bay that had some room left. 


No comments:

Post a Comment