Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 198: Santa Cruz

This morning, I woke up early again and got packed up before my flight to Santa Cruz. So, Bolivia has two very diverse geographies. On the left side, is the high cold Andes, on the right is the hot humid Amazon; in the middle is Santa Cruz.

Once I got backed up, I headed to the airport to catch my flight. My plane was a small puddle jumper with about 5 other people one it. Pretty freaky. The flight out was amazing! The city and the snow capped mountains surrounded us. However, the coming into Santa Cruz was not as beautiful. We were flopping around like a fish out of water, I was certain we were all going to die. We approached the runway and didn't slow down one bit, still tossing and turning. We landed on the runway, still at cruising speed, at an angle as if we were drifting down the runway. This past two minutes was the most scary experience I have had while traveling around the world. No lie.


Wow, it is really hot here. I showed up wearing two long sleeve shirts and a jacket; definitely need to de-layer!

I got to my hostel, relaxed off the near death experience and explored the area. There isn't much to see in Santa Cruz, it is just used as a jumping off point to either side of the country or into or out of the country. For some reason, Bolivia's largest international airport is in Santa Cruz, not the capital, or the most popular tourist destination.. Santa Cruz. Like a lot in this country, I don't understand it.

Santa Cruz loves their chicken, I was unable to find anything but chicken restaurants. I had a very sketchy chicken sandwich. After doing some exploring and grabbing some "lunch," I headed back to the hostel. I didn't really do much today aside from write my blog which I am over a week behind in. Sorry about that. 

I have an early flight out of here tomorrow morning to Miami, then to San Diego. I have allotted myself one month to make my way from San Diego, California to Seattle, Washington. I have never been further west than Las Vegas, Nevada (if that even counts), so I am very excited to see the other side of my country

No comments:

Post a Comment