Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 193: Isle del Sol

Today I headed out early and made my way back to Copacabana. Luckily, I was able to get back through the boarder without a problem. Of course, I had to pay an exit fee for Peru because I am from the US.

Copacabana is a great little tourist town filled with shops and restaurants. I caught a boat out to Isle del Sol, an island in Lake Titicaca. The boat ride was pretty terrible, a little over three hours long. I had no clue the ride was going to be that long!


Once I got to Isle del Sol, I was searching high and low for any sign of a person; the place was a sparse ghost town. I could hear some faint music off in the distance, so I just followed the music. There ended up being some sort of festival going on at the local school's basketball/soccer field. It was pretty cool to see the local band playing and everyone dancing. After watching everyone for a little bit, I started the search for a place to sleep. I found a great spot right on the beach; a room to myself, with a view of the beach and lake for $3... not bad at all!!


Once I got settled into my place, I headed out to explore my part of the island. The island is not too big, but would probably take 5-6 hours to walk around, much bigger than I was expecting. As you can imagine, the community is very basic, slow, and rural. Wild animal are running around everywhere and things like electricity are hard to come by.

That night, I just grabbed some food from a local store and hung out that night in my hostel. It has been a long time that I have had a quite room to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment