Saturday, August 17, 2013

Day 200: San Diego

I woke up very early by a call from AA saying that the flight was full and I had to catch the 6:30pm flight out of Miami, so I enjoyed a good slumber through the morning.

I then made my way to the airport and waited all afternoon for my flight. I spent some time at the Corona Beach bar kicking back an $8 beer, enjoying the ease of communicating with my friends.

The flight was delayed a little over an hour, so I got into San Diego around 10:30pm and then made my way to the rental car company, all the while, Andre, a friend I made in Bali, Indonesia who I am staying with, is texting me wondering where I am and that they are trying to go to the bars. I get to the rental company and the tell me I have to us a credit card to rent the car or I have to have my exit flight booked to use a debit card. Well, I'm 24 I barely have a credit cad with a $1000 limit, so I sat down, charged my dead phone and searched. I got my flight booked up by around 11, got my car and was on my way. Was a pain in the past two days have been, but now I'm here and I'm free! It was a bit nerve wrecking driving a car at first; the last time I was behind a wheel was in Morocco around 8 months ago. I finally got to Andre's house; now it's time to find a parking spot. About 30 minutes later I found a spot 9 blocks away. I got to Andre's a little after midnight. I just waited for him at his place since he told me he'd be back in a little under an hour. 

It was great to see him after about two months since Bali. It's crazy, I knew him for less than a day and he has opened up his home and his life to me for as long as I want. Now you see how fast you can become good friends when backpacking. Lets put it in perspective. Say you go have lunch with a friend from out of town and his friend. After lunch you hang out for a couple hours. Would you open up your home to your friend's friend, who you don't know, two months later? Probably not. But in this scenario, we are already great friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment