Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 189: Overnight bus to La Paz

Today, I didn't really get much done. I back up my bag and prepared to be cold again! Tonight I am taking an overnight bus to La Paz. La Paz is recognized as the capital of Bolivia, yet Sucre is the actual capital; I don't understand it at all. It would be like calling New York, New York the capital of the US when Washington, DC is the real capital... I will admit that I am a bit nervous of this bus ride. Bolivia is notorious of bus crashes; just type "bus crash Bolivia" into Google, and you'll find plenty of recent articles. The are litany of reasons why the constant wrecks occur: Bolivian bus drivers are NOTORIOUS for driving night shifts drunk; Bolivian drivers are crazy, the majority of the roads are dirt and wind through the mountains, so the drivers will pass anyone anywhere, here comes a sharp uphill left bend, lets pass this bus! seriously, if you can actually see out the front window you will have a heart attack; also, some busses have to make it to certain checkpoints by certain times, so the drivers are always rushing. Another weird thing about the busses is that they will pick up anyone off the side of the road. I got my fingers crossed for tonight.

I walked around a bit more in town before my afternoon bus departure. I made sure to pack a bunch of warm clothes in my day bag because the busses never turn the heat on. If you are at a bus station, you'll see loads of people selling or carrying massive blankets; yea it gets freezing at night.

Later that afternoon, I left the hostel, waving another group of hostel dwellers goodbye and my way to the bus station. Luckily, I didn't have anyone next to me on the bus, so I had some room to spread out.

It was rather hard to get to sleep. It wasn't because I was nervous of crashing, if its going to happen, theres nothing I can do about it, but the bus was just going so fast and swaying from side to side. It was like trying to go to sleep on a canoe in the ocean. Eventually, around midnight, I was able to get some sleep. Then around 3am we hit the dirt roads. Jesus, it was awful. constantly rattling and dust everywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment