Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 212: Redwood National Park

I decided to leave the KOA campsite and do some real camping. One thing that I forgot about the US is that this country is covered with National Parks and you can sleep in all of the for free. Theres got to be someone out there who just goes from National Park to National Park living in the woods for free.

So, I have never really camped before and definitely not by myself and never in bear areas; I don't really know what to expect at all. I headed to the ranger station, got a permit, stocked up on supplies, and headed out.

I wasn't sure how much to pack, what to pack, and what not to pack; definitely a learning experience. With my bags packed, I headed in. The most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Endless forests of the oldest trees in the world and NO ONE around. I picked out a spot a couple our before sundown, unpacked all my gear, and gathered firewood. I can't even describe how amazing it is to be in this park; I definitely think that I have spoiled myself by camping for the first time in the Redwoods, I don't think anything can compare. I walked around in the rocked creekbed so that I could truly appreciate the height of these trees. The creek is lined with normal trees, behind those are the Redwoods. At first I was thrown off, thinking that the Redwoods were just on a hill, but no... they are about two and a half times the size of a normal tree.


Walking through the Redwoods, I am only interrupted by a scurrying chipmunk, or the piercing screech of a hawk as it swoops down to its prey; ahh the great outdoors. That night I built a small fire, enjoyed my dinner and silence, and relaxed in my tent as the thunder and lightning rumbled me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment