Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 211: Eureka

As great as the wine country was, I had to move on, waving Catherine and the grapes goodbye. I booked a night at a KOA campsite further north in Eureka, California. I was told by some people in Cambria that Eureka is a great spot to camp and explore. Again, I chose to take Highway 1 so I could continue to follow the beautiful coast. 

Eventually Highway 1 and Highway 101 come together for form a road that is known as the Redwood Highway, I started to pass some Redwood Trees. Wow, these trees are magnificent. I stopped off at the famous drive through tree; unfortunately, the hole is much smaller than I thought and I was unable to fit through the tree. However, it is still magnificent that a tree can be so big that a car can fit through it. 

Once I got to Humbodlt Redwoods State Park, a large park filled with massive Redwood trees. I came across an exit sign on Redwood Highway (HWY 101) is The Avenue of Giants. Even though I was running late, I didn't care where this road led me I was taking it. It turns out the road runs next to HWY 101 but really takes you through the Redwoods on a slow one laned road. These trees are MASSIVE! Some of them are even bulging into the road. If I ran head into one of these trees a branch probably wouldn't even fall off. I just had to stop a couple times and explore parts of the park.

Well I was pretty upset once I arrived at the KOA campsite. The campsite is in a town, there really isn't anything to see in the area, and the "campsite" has a pool and showers. Not what I had in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment