Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Day 205: Cambria

This morning, I packed up my things, hugged Wrenn and her roommates goodbye and headed off to Hearst Castle.

It was good to finally get onto Highway 101. I must admit, HWY 101, the Pacific Coast Highway, was pretty disappointing, mainly because you don't actually see the coast! I diverged onto Highway 1, where you actually drive up the coast. The California coast is oddly amazing, jagged big rocks and steep cliffs make up the sea line, its like something out of Scotland. The drive up to Hearst Castle took a lot longer than it should have, mainly because I kept pulling over to take pictures or walk around in the various State Parks that line the coast.

As I was making my way up the highway, I saw this small cool looking town and I decided to pull in for a late lunch. Once I was there, I figured I might as well call Hearst Castle to see if I had to buy a ticket in advance or something. Well I glad I called because you definitely can't just show up and walk around like I was planning to do.


I decided to stay the night in the town. I headed over to the only hostel in the town; unfortunately, they were full. The hostel was run out of an older lady's house; luckily, she let me put up my tent in the backyard for a small fee.

I explored the town during the small bit of sunlight I had, and popped into a small wine distributor and did a little wine tasting. Afterwards, I headed over to the local grocery store and grabbed some dinner and food for the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment