Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bolivia Wrap Up

Alright, so I have finally completed my amazing trip in Bolivia. Even though it may not seem like it, main because backpacking in Western Bolivian is pretty cold and miserable, but I really liked Bolivia. The main reason why I liked Bolivia was because it was everything that I expected South America to be: old, traditional, poor, and run by an unfavorable form of government.

A lot of people would say that they think Bolivians are rude, I didn't really see too much of it; other than the ordinary rudeness that you come across day-to-day.

I started my venture in Bolivia in the south and made my way north. Bolivia is basically split right down the middle; to the west is the high elevated Andes Mountains, to the east is the blistering hot Amazon. I spent all of my time in the west; while yes it was a bit miserable, it was worth it. The landscapes are unlike anything you can even imagine; you will want to take a picture at every turn.

Speaking of turns, Bolivian bus drivers are crazy. All of the long bus rides (at least in the west) are during the night, and bus drivers are notorious for drinking and driving at night. There are signs everywhere that say something like don't drink and drive, showing pictures of crashed busses. There are also crosses and burial sites all along the highways where vehicles have crashed. The main reason for all the crashes, aside from the drunk driving, is that Bolivians are madmen behind the wheel. Its almost like the harder it is to pass a person, the better. We would be coming across to a sharp bend to the left and now its time to pass... I don't understand it..

La Paz was my favorite city in Bolivia, there was so much fun stuff to do. I really took a liking to downhill biking; however, I was always deadly sore afterwards, it so much fun. I will say that I can't do it on a daily basis, mainly because I could hardly move afterwards. It took several days for me to recover from the circuit.

One of my favorite things about Bolivia is all of the large women wearing the traditional attire; I really liked seeing that the Bolivians are still rooted in their ancient culture.

One odd thing that I found pretty funny in Bolivia is the advertising. In a lot of the commercials and poster advertisements there are females that are barely dressed. For example, there was a commercial for a furniture store and walking all through the furniture store, laying on the couch, chairs and tables, was a girl wearing a thong bikini. I don't really understand it, nor do I mind it!

While there are a lot of beautiful things in Bolivia, there are some rather not so beautiful things. The country is rather dirty with trash lining the streets and there are tons of wild dogs roaming the streets, sleeping in garbage and sleeping in trash piles for warmth; its a pretty sad sight.

All-in-all, Bolivia was great

No comments:

Post a Comment