Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 188: Sucre

Since today is Sunday, there is a popular market that takes place in a town about an hour away called Tarabuco. Luckily the hostel I am in arranged a bus and took a bunch of tourists there. The drive was really beautiful, being able to see the steep valleys and rolling mountains was breath taking. On the bus was one a French friend that we had gone out with two nights before, Laurent. He was with a group of other people, so we had a great exploring crew.

Tarabuco is a very small town made up of one story mud built buildings. Once we got off the bus, we headed straight for the market. It was not what I was expecting at all! I was thinking there would be a bunch of clothes and stuff for sale; no, they were selling everything from calculators to chickens. Crazy.


We explored for quite a while; however, Tarabuco is very small, so we saw things multiple times. There were a lot of Bolivians wearing very traditional clothes. I learned that the different types of hats that the ladies wear is a symbol of where in Bolivia they are from, even the color matters.

We eventually stumbled upon the town center. There are plenty of touristy shops here! In the center of the park is a statue of a Bolivian soldier standing on top of a Spanish soldier. The Bolivian is holding the Spanish soldiers heart in his hand and has blood running out of his mouth. Apparently, the Bolivian soldiers were quite barbaric back when they fought against the Spanish!


After a while, the town became rather boring once we saw the same thing about 4 times. We made our way back to the bus and waited for our departure.

Once I got back to my hostel, I relaxed for a little bit and then went out to grab a late lunch. Since its Sunday, the streets are rather empty, it's completely opposite from the constant overflow of traffic and the blowing horns. A peaceful beautiful white city!

Later that night I met up with Laurent in the park. We walked around for a bit and then ducked into a restaurant to grab some food and drinks. Now, for all of those who still like to lean on the stereotype that the US's beer tastes like water, try South American beer; the lightest and wateriest beer I have ever had. Luckily, they were serving a dark variety of a beer. We couldn't get enough of it.

After dinner, we headed back to the park and then parted ways, waving another friend goodbye. When I got back to my hostel, the whole place was shut down and locked up. Luckily, someone was close to the door and let me in. I guess because its Sunday everyone goes to sleep early? I hung out with some of the backpackers that were still awake in my dorm then went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment