Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 160: Sydney

Today the weather didn't get much better, with off and on rain persisting. That afternoon, I headed down to the harbor to check out the icon area of this city. It was pretty easy to get down there, especially considering that everyone speaks English and figuring out how much to pay the driver to get to my destination was much easier than the "No Change," they would tell me in Asia.

The harbor was really cool, it was great to see all of the boats moving through the water. I walked over to the Sydney Opera House and hopped in a tour. 


The building is pretty amazing, it was great to learn of the history and the architectural hurdles that this design raised. There are five theatres and well over 1000 productions a year, pretty amazing. The Opera House does it right, they don't just focus on opera style performances, they also host events that bring in people of all ages; they have educational lectures, stand up comedy, and normal concerts. They even host free events; they used to have surfing Sundays and show amazing surfing videos and a bunch of the surfers used to come up, with their surf board in hand, and watch the movies that afternoon once they finished surfing. Making sure that the Opera House will be popular for generations to come!

(Joan Rutherford Theatre)

After the tour, I took the bus back to Lauren's flat and just hung out with her and her roommates that night. We ended up having Mexican food for dinner, homemade tacos and some salsa and chips. Believe it or not, this is the first time I have had Mexican food since I left the states; I love me some Mexican food.


No comments:

Post a Comment