Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 183: Potosi

I took today pretty slow. This is definitely the highest up I have ever been in person, a little over 13,500ft and I can feel the altitude sickness, a strong headache like a bad hangover.

I had breakfast at the hostel and spent the morning consuming large amounts of water, writing some of my blog, and backing up some of my photos.

That afternoon, I set out to explore the city and had to completely bundle up. When you are in the sun it can get a little warm, but for the majority you are shaded by the buildings, also this town is on the side of a mountain, so it's not flat. With the combination of shade and wind... you might as well be in Antarctica.

 
Once I got to the main center of the town, there were plenty of restaurants to choose from, except none of them were Bolivian, mostly Italian Pizzerias. I could understand if this was a big touristy area, but it's not. It was rare to see tourists out and about. I say a reason could be that it's hard to walk around here. Walking one block up a hill is a struggle in this town because of the altitude. If I was walking and took a sip of water mid stride, I would be panting to catch my breath. It's crazy. When I was walking up some hills, I noticed that all the locals just putter up the hills, shuffling their feet or either waking really slow. At first I was blasting past them wonder what these slow people were doing, after about a block, I was panting and they eventually caught up to me. Got to take things slow in this town. Now I see why they are stereotypically known for being lazy, slow, and their siestas; this altitude is killer.

I found a cafe with some locals in it and figured I could find something there, just sandwiches.. A coke and ham and cheese later, I headed back to my hostel to relax. 

That night, I went back out and walked around a bit. Surprisingly, the town was bumping. Not able to find a real Bolivian place to eat, I ended up sitting down at one of the Italian pizzerias. It wasn't bad. Afterwards, I made my back to the hostel, hung out with some of the people in the lobby by the heater, then headed off to the warmth of my blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment