Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 175: Santiago

This morning I called the US embassy to see how long it would take to get new pages added to my passport. Luckily, the lady told me that they would go ahead and do it today since I want to leave Santiago tomorrow. 

I was surprised how easy it was to get in contact with the embassy. I have called, emailed, and left messages at every US embassy since Vietnam only to never hear back from or speak to a person. 

The embassy in Santiago is pretty nice; it's a large multistoried building. As I approached the door, I was thinking, yes, now I get to speak English to a fellow American. That was not the case. At the door and at security, no one spoke English; they had to call someone to translate for me so I could get in. Once inside the embassy, it reminded me a lot of a DMV; a line of windows, numbers being called out, and a ton of people waiting and filling out forms. It was primarily people applying for visas to get into the US. Luckily, since I was a citizen, I was quickly processed. Now I just need to come back around 4pm to pick up my passport. 

Now that I have this done, I headed back to my hostel to get a plane ticket. I am now headed to San Pedro de Atacama; I will buy a plane ticket to Calama then take a bus to San Pedro. I chose to fly instead of taking a 30hr bus ride; I don't know how people do it.

I found a cheap flight for tomorrow and booked it. Then I get an email saying that I had purchased a ticket for 3x the price. I called the company and luckily they were willing to give me a refund and put me on a flight the following day for the same price I had originally booked it for. 

Later that afternoon, I headed back the embassy to pick up my passport. With 48 new pages, I don't think I have to worry about running out of room anytime soon!

After I got my passport, I walked around in the downtown area. Nothing too special, just a somewhat busy business area. I then walked back to the area where my hostel is and walked around. It is cool to see parts of the college campus. 

That night, I just ducked into a local pizzeria and then hung out at the hostel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment