Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 171: Mendoza

So today is my first real day in Mendoza. Many of the things to do here are booked through tours and start early in the morning, so I have already missed that boat.

I headed out that afternoon to explore the town. In Mendoza there is like a main strip with many restaurants and shops that is accessible to pedestrians only (there is no road), so there were a lot of people out and about and street performers singing and playing musical instruments in an attempt to pull a tip out of some of the locals and tourists. 

(Notice the DB. Is there an Argentine Darnall Bailey around here?)

I popped into the most populated restaurant, figuring that the locals know the food better than me. The staff and menu were all Spanish, so trying to find something good was a little difficult. Everything I wanted to order was out of stock, or so that's what I was able to translate, so I went with the easy escape, a hamburger. The hamburger was much different from what I have had; for starters, it was about as big as a pancake, and just as thin. In Argentina you can put ham and eggs on just about anything and call it Argentinian, of course the hamburger had egg and ham on it as well. It was really good.

After lunch, I walked around the town. I stumbled upon a park and hung around there for a bit.

After the park, I headed back to the hostel and hung out there for the rest of the day. I spent the majority of my time figuring out what to do after Mendoza. That night my hostel put on a free wine class. It was great to get a little introduction to Argentine wine, not to mention drink some great free wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment