Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 185: Sucre

I was a terrible tourist for my first day in Sucre. I got some sleep, enjoyed the complementary breakfast, wrote a bunch of these late blog posts, and connected with friends. 

Later that afternoon, I ran into a Dutch girl that I had met on the Atacama tour. We hung out for a bit and then learned that our hostel was having all you could eat pasta for $5, it was really good. I enjoyed the heaps of pasta with some fellow backpackers. After dinner, we all stepped out to walk around in the town. Close by our hostel there is the big park, it is really nice for Bolivia. We then ducked into a cafe and shared stories about where we are from. One thing that I found interesting: when it comes to a job, something called a Life Contract is highly sought after in Europe. What is a Life Contract? Just a normal job in the US, one that doesn't have a stated end date. Most jobs in Europe are set up in time limits, 6 months, 1, or 2 years. Jobs security for them is terrible. In Holland you have to have a Life Contract in order to buy a house. Wow that's crazy. To my understanding, most jobs in the US, once you start, you have the potential to retire there as long as you do good and the company does good too.

After we hung out for a bit, we all headed back to the hostel and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment