Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 159: Sydney

This morning, I ate my complimentary hot pocket style airplane breakfast as the sun rose over the clouds. What an amazing sight.


Getting through immigrations was surprisingly easy. All I did was scan my passport, then a camera with some facial recognition software, somehow, recognized my face from my passport photo; then I was done. Seriously, why can't it be that easy in other countries. From the moment I got off the plane to when I got out of the airport maybe took me 15 minutes.

A friend from college, Lauren, picked me up at the airport. Since graduating, she has been living here in Sydney; it was great to see a familiar face, let alone a fellow Gamecock.

We headed back to her apartment and I met her flat mates as they gradually woke up. 

That afternoon we headed over to the mall and grabbed some sushi. It is weird being in an English speaking country; the new found simplicity in being able to order food was amazing! After we walked around for a bit, we headed back to Lauren's flat. She eventually headed off to work and I made friend with one of her flat mates, Mark, who is from Florida. Mark needed some backup to help prove to this girl that they were "just friends," so I joined him, as a third wheel, to the movie Superman.

The movie theater was kinda different from those in the States. First off, the price of a ticket was $19!!! Second, we had assigned seating.

After the movie, I didn't do much. I ordered takeout and hung out in the apartment with Lauren's boyfriend, who is from Slovakia.

Being in Australia reminds me of being back in the US. I don't feel obligated to be a tourist, because there isn't really a touristy feel to this city. Sure there are some great things to see, but its not as "unique." I'm not going to be ordering Australian food from a street condor who speaks little to no English, or am I staying in a dingy hostel. I feel like a local.

No comments:

Post a Comment