Thursday, June 27, 2013

Indonesia Wrap Up

Wow, Indonesia was a great visit! I wish I had know of all this country's beauty so I could have allotted more time to spend here. I really wanted to take the time to see Papua in the eastern part of Indonesia, which is home to some very isolated tribes that requires a 1-2 hike to get to them; how cool would it be to see them?!! One day I will come back and go there!

While Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, is a rising global player in business, the rest of Indonesia seem to be left alone. Bali has a huge tourism industry, so it is rather developed in that sense, but not many visitors leave Bali or even know that there is so much else to see outside the island. I would guess that the reason why most people stay is because Bali it developed around its tourists, you have to hunt for a squat toilet, while outside of the island is quite the opposite, you have to hunt for a shower that isn't just a bucket of water. So maybe the type of tourists that come to Bali like all the comforts of home and don't want to leave? Just a thought... Regardless, that's fine with me. East Java was wonderful, not only because it was touched by so few tourists, but because I was able to see some of this country's amazing natural beauty. While constantly waking up early to begin a tiresome trek did run me thin, it was well worth it! The sights alone were enough to keep me awake, I needed no coffee.

Outside of Java and Bali there is still so much to see. Some of the world's best deep sea fishing, snorkeling, and scuba diving can be found among the vast number of islands that make up part of Indonesia. Being a part of the Ring of Fire, also make Indonesia home to plenty of volcanoes, hot springs, and geysers. On top of that, Indonesia has countless jungles and Natural Parks to keep any outdoor or wildlife lover entrenched here for years.

Like I have said, the traffic in Indonesia is on a whole new level. From what I have heard from the locals, the roads were originally designed for a smaller amount of traffic that consisted primarily of mopeds. Now the population has grown and with it, the number of cars. Many global news reports cite Jakarta has having among the top (if not the top) of the worst congested cities in the world and having the worst traffic jams. Locals laugh when I ask them of the traffic in Jakarta and the say that if you want to go three blocks it will take you an hour... No lie. Poverty is such a problem that people will come up to stopped cars and steal mirrors off the cars, or open the doors and steal stuff out of the car. What are you going to do? You can't drive anywhere! 

Since I was in Bali, the government ceased a subsidy on the gas at the pump, increasing the cost by 45% per liter. The government says that the money that it will save from the subsidy will go to help the poor. When I asked locals about this, they again laughed, telling me that the Indonesian government is extremely corrupt. While all I see is the locals being relatively corrupt, I have yet to see any government officials being corrupt, other than me bribing the cops and others having to do the same when pulled over. When I ask locals how the public transportation is in Jakarta, they say that there is none, you'd think in a heavily populated city that is notoriously traffic congested it would be huge, yet it is primarily busses and mini busses, which only adds to the problem. They have just begun adding onto the existed rail system, which has only two lines, that is supposed to be finished in 2018. A cab driver told me, the money just goes into the officials pockets.

Poverty is also a problem. Most people outside of the cities can't afford schooling, "no money, no education," the cab driver told me. He said that if the people have a little bit of money, they have to choose between a level above poor quality food or an education. It's no wonder people would charge me a dollar or 50 cents more than what it should cost; some of them are doing what they can just to survive.

Being the most populated Muslim population in the world, I was expecting a much larger presence of it. Aside from the Call to Prayer and the women all wearing the veils, that was it. In the Middle East, the majority of the women were wearing burqas, which covers the entire body, possibly showing just the eyes. 

The only time I got to really speak to a Muslim in Indonesia was my last meal in Yogyakarta, when Eline and I ate dinner. We sat across the table from a Muslim couple. The man primarily spoke of business and the college he was about to go to in the UK and the women spoke about praying. We learned that they had just met in April and were getting married in August, so yeah, very fast! An official at their school had to introduce them and approve their relationship, then the women continually prayed for guidance on their potential lives together. When the question of marriage came up, her prayers then shifted to asking for acceptance of the marriage and if it is the right choice. This on top of the religious prayers five times a day can really add up, but this is their lifestyle, it is centered around their faith and religion. To me, it seems like a lot of work, and what happens if, through prayer, she learned that this marriage is not acceptable? Regardless, she was so excited when she talked of her life! Going through her time in school and being young, it was similar to any other person growing up, and she never forgot to mention, "and then I would pray to make sure..." I couldn't help but smile with joy in hearing her stories. Got to love the differences in this world not matter how small some of the may be!

So, all in all, Indonesia was a great country. The people were friendly and some of them even humorous in the way that they act. I'll never forget the old lady that ran to local food restaurant next to my hostel in Bali, "ooh, welcome back... You extra chicken this time? Heh heh heh'" as she carved out a helping of rice and threw it into a banana leaf. The outdoor wonders are what truly spark my interest in this country and I cannot wait to return to Indonesia one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment