Saturday, June 8, 2013

Day 137: Hong Kong

Yesterday, Nate told me about an amazing burger place in Time Square, which is right behind my hostel. Craving a taste of home, I made my way to BLT Burger for lunch. I have yet to have a meal that so closely resembles home like BLT Burger does; massive juicy burgers. My mouth is watering now!

That afternoon, I had to make my way to the Gold Coast to meet up with Noni to finalize my tailored suit. Trying to get out to the Gold Coast took longer than expected but was a great ride on the bus. It was the first time I have ever seen the island part of Hong Kong from the mainland with the large mountains in the background. It is crazy to see such a cluster of tall commercial and residential buildings on a small island. The Gold Coast is basically like a resort getaway for Hong Kongers; it reminds me a lot of the Bahamas, large pinkish apartments, big yacht docks, and beaches.

After I got all my measurements and the design down, I parted ways with Noni and headed to the part of the Lantau Island that has the Tain Tan Buddha atop of one of the mountains. Since it was late in the afternoon with little time to spare before it closes, I took the cable car up through the various mountains to the Buddha. The cable car ride was really cool and much longer than I expected.


At the base of the Tain Tan Buddha was tons of shops, very touristy. Luckily, I came here near closing time, so there wasn't many tourists around. The Buddha was pretty cool to see; while it isn't the biggest I have seen, it was still a great sight to see with beautiful surroundings.




I ended up taking the bus back down. The ride was amazing, I have yet to see this tropic side of Hong Kong; thick forests, remote beaches, islands off in the distance, and a small population. Once I got to the metro station, it was back to the Hong Kong I am used to, people everywhere.

For dinner, I went back to my go to, Giant Foot. Another good meal to wrap up a good day. That night, I purchased a plane ticket outta here, I am headed to Malaysia. Unfortunately, all the flights out of here tomorrow either take over 24 hours or cost over $400, so I booked my cheap flight for Sunday. Not really sure what I am going to do tomorrow, probably just hang around the hostel, speaking with some people about what to do in Malaysia, read, and update my blog. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment