Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 135: Hong Kong

Today was a rather gloomy day with off and on rain throughout the evening. I didn't get out until later that day, staying in and researching where to go next. I don't know where I am going to go after Hong Kong. I have to dodge two main things, heat and the monsoon. Unfortunately, the heat is pretty much inescapable, so I just have to look out for the heavy rain. Taking the rain into consideration (without doubling up on a country), I have to miss out on pretty much every country except Indonesia, so I am leaning towards making my way there. I really wanted to go see Cambodia and/or Myanmar (Burma) but it is 80% chance of rain for the next ten days and I don't think much is going to change. That evening, I did exactly what I did last time and took the metro to a random location to check it out. At that stop, I came across a huge street market with, what I assume is, a bunch of knock of products. I put my bargaining skills to the test and haggled with the lady to get a few things I needed.

That night I met up with a friend of the family, Nate, who is a young man from Texas living here with his wife in Hong Kong. We met up at a Japanese bar/restaurant and began to sample some great saki, much better than the dirt cheap bottles I have had back home! Over saki and some finger foods, we exchanged a little of our background and I got to learn about the interesting path that has lead him to a career in Hong Kong. 

We eventually made our way to a new Sichuan-style restaurant that has yet to acquire their alcohol license (first off, I was surprised that you need a license to do anything over here), meaning free beer! Nate ordered up some amazing and spicey food that took me back to the hotpot I ate from in Chengdu. 

One of the things that I have been wanting to do while in Asia is get a good tailored suit made but I have yet to come across a tailor that I feel comfortable with. It is hard to pick out a good tailor when I know more about the fabric and material than the tailor does, and I don't know much at all. Nate told me that he has a great trustworthy tailor that has clients all over the world and often makes trips to various cities in the US to remeasure and show off new samples to his clients. This sounds like a good guy. He is meeting Nate at his office tomorrow, so I am going to meet him and see if I can find something that sparks my interests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment