Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 93: Koh Pha-ngan

I had an early morning as I started my trip from Phuket to Ko Pha-ngan. This is the first time since Nepal that I will be traveling on my own. While I do enjoy being with friends, it is always great to travel on your own. Sometimes you just want to be alone and dive into the unknown by yourself. Now I am back on my own trying to traverse this world while making new friends along the way.

The bus ride was absolutely miserable. No A/C with a strong sun kept me baking like a turkey in the oven; there were times when I thought I was going to throw up. The bus finally dropped me off at Don Sak where I awaited my ferry to take me to Ko Pha-ngan. Ko Pha-ngan is an island off the eastern coast of Thailand. Tomorrow is something called the Full Moon party, a big party that is thrown on the beach during the full moon of the month. Perfect timing.

When I got on the ferry, I sat down right in the front next to an Asian looking guy. He got up and walked around for a bit and when he sat down he said, "cheers mate." "So where in the UK are you from?" I asked. Turns out the guy was born and raised in London, but his parents are Thai. After an hour or so of talking and a couple rounds of beer, we became good friends. Turns out he has an extra beg in his hotel room and offered it up to me. Just shows what talking to the person next to you can lead to.

Once we got situated in our room, we went out and rented mopeds so we could get around easier. $3 for 24 hours it is not a bad deal at all; you end up paying around $2 for a cab to take you anywhere, so why not have your own mode of transportation? On our way to find some food we picked up three girls who were walking back to there bungalows. The girl on my moped was from Germany and was telling me all about the Jungle Party that was going on tonight. After Pichai and I dropped off the girls, we headed off to grab a bite to eat before heading off to the jungle! We found an amazing place called the Art Bar on the side of a mountain with an amazing view of the ocean. Turns out they were cooking BBQ chicken and pork and it was free. Yes, legit, free, all we had to do was buy a drink, and they were not even overpriced. Couldn't ask for a better appetizer of the night.

The jungle party was wild! Stage in the middle of a palm tree forest, neon paint, and fire dancers. Awesome night.

















No comments:

Post a Comment