Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 87: Bangkok

Today Boyd's parents are meeting us in Bangkok. We waved goodbye to our Khao San road and our dignity and set off for our new hostel right on the Chao Phraya River, a much needed change of scenery.

Boyd and I's family have been friends since before we were born. Seeing his parents and being in a hotel was seriously like a culture shock. It was weird. Aside from my short stent in the United Arab Emirates, I have not had to be presentable or normally polite since I left home almost four months ago. Boyd's parents just flew here from Germany, so I can only image they wanted some rest.

After getting settled in, we made our way across the river for dinner and a show. The hotel was putting on some type of Thai cultural show for dinner. Once we sat down, we were presented a... fork and knife. It was like the first time I had ever used chop sticks. The fork and knife were fumbling in my hands and I could barely eat my food. Aside from the United Arab Emirates, I have either used bread, my hands, or chop sticks to eat my meals. It was funny but weird using a fork and knife. We can all agree that the show was weird. I would have much preferred a quiet dinner so we could have all talked about our past experiences traveling than watching the stage.

After dinner, Boyd, Robbie and I enjoyed a cigar and a bottle of wine by the river. A nice change from scorpions and beer towers on Khao San road.









No comments:

Post a Comment