Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 81: Sleeper Bus to Saigon

This morning we set out to be more productive than the last. We rented mopeds from a reputable source and set off to see the city. We first came across this place called the Crazy House. At first I was expecting something to do with horror, but it was actually just like a very strange house. It reminded me of the Gaudi House in Barcelona, Spain. Aside from traversing the windy staircases and trippy buildings, there was not much to see; parts of it were still under construction.

After leaving the Crazy House, we went out to find some of the other waterfalls that we did not see on our canyoning tour. When we arrived at where they were, we discovered that it was all developed for tourists. We took some type of single car roller coaster down to the bottom of the mountain. It was actually really fun. It was like a bobsled on a track, you got to control the speed by using the brake. Of course, we couldn't have used the brakes or else it wouldn't have been fun!

We took our time to explore the waterfalls, stream, and surrounding forest. The forest actually reminds me a lot of South Carolina; loads of pine trees. When we left the park, we headed out to explore some of the farms on the outskirts of town. After a while, we pulled over for some lunch on the side of the road. The Vietnamese people can turn your ordinary bag of instant noodles into one of the best meals in the world. I need to know how they do it.

Later we returned the mopeds and headed for our go-to spot, the Peace Restaurant, to finish up our last couple hours in Da Lat as we waited on our midnight bus ride.

The sleeper bus was actually pretty nice. I will say that the Vietnamese are about half the size of me, so I didn't fit into the bed at all. Towards the bottom of the bed was all closed off, so I had very little room to move my feet. The rest of the world does not at all accommodate to people over six feet tall at all, especially eastern Asia. I can't tell you how many time I have had some guy come measure himself next to me, laugh and comment about how big my feet are, or better yet, the amount of times I have nailed my head on something. I am constantly hunched over in fear of getting my head chopped off.


And yes, the last picture is what you think it is... A baby seat





























No comments:

Post a Comment