Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 216: Portland

This morning, I had to stop by a pretty popular restaurant in Oregon, Voodoo Donuts, which is known for putting crazy ingredients on their donuts. I got the Bacon Maple, sweet and salty!

I then headed off to Portland. I connected with my friend Crystal's sister, Jenna,  who is living in Portland; luckily, she is going to let me crash on her couch.

First thing I wanted to do was check out a couple of Portland's 60 microbrews. I first headed over to Hair of the Dog. I got a sandwich and a couple beer samplers to wash it down.

I then headed into downtown to do some exploring. Downtown Portland is really cool, it is definitely not a typical US city. One way roads, full wide bike lanes everywhere, and electric streetcars everywhere. Thats one thing that I found odd in California; in busy places like San Francisco and Los Angeles buses had their own designated lane. However, in the mid 20th century places like LA were riddles with electric streetcars; believe it or not, those streetcar companies were bought up by large US car companies at the time, the tracks were removed, the streetcars discarded and replaced by highways and large buses. Somehow, Portland dodged that bullet.

Portland has taken large steps to "keep Portland weird." There is a large hipster population, everyone supports local businesses, and there is a large entrepreneur culture here. There is a funny TV show called Portlandia, while is is an exaggerated comedy, it does a pretty good job at describing Portland. The Columbia River runs right through Portland. I think Portland should be nicknamed the City of Bridges because there are so many bridges connecting the city.

While I was walking around in the downtown area, I saw a lot of homeless people. There was a large food program going on, so all of them were congested in one area. All of these people looked really bad, you could definitely tell who was a drug addicts and easily pick out the guys who were still high on drugs, head bobbling talking and yelling at no one. Time to pick a new place to explore...

I ended up stumbling upon an area that was full of food carts, another thing that Portland is known for. I briefly took myself back to the Middle East and got a lamb kabab, oh so good!

I then came across the Rock Bottom microbrew and decided to pop in for a couple samplers.

Afterwards, I headed over to meet up with Jenna and her boyfriend. That night we went to the larges movie rental store in the world (yes they still exist), with over 90,000 titles and got a good movie wot watch on their projection screen back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment