Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 220: Seattle

After a good morning of sleep, I headed into cloudy downtown Seattle. The first thing I wanted to do was see the whole city. I went up to the top of the second tallest building west of Chicago, the Columbia Center; at 73 stories, I was able to see everything that wasn't covered by fog, cloud, and rain.

Afterwards, I hunted for a sports bar where I could watch my Gamecock's first football game against the University of North Carolina. Luckily, its 3pm here on a Thursday, so no one is at the bar drinking, except me and two other USC fans, what are the odds.

At halftime, I headed to the airport to pick up William. It is good to see a good childhood friend after almost 9 months. We headed to the hotel to drop off his stuff then we headed back into town. We ended up going back to the same sports bar to grab some food. Afterwards, we walked across the street to the Seattle Space Needle to head to the top. The Space Needle was built for the World Fair of 1962, at the time, it was the tallest building west of the Mississippi. However, it was meant to be disassembled after the World Fair, as it was just a model of what skyscrapers were going to look like in the 21st century. The city refused to buy it, so Howard Wright, the contractor, bought it in 1977; the tower makes money from tour fees and the rotating restaurant at the top.

We then drove around downtown to get a feel for the Seattle nightlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment