Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 225: Vancouver

I started off the day by heading across the street to a great spot for brunch. After brunch, I headed into downtown Vancouver.

I first stopped off at False Creek, which is a small body of water that comes in off the English Bay. To my dismay, there wasn't really anything to see aside from the beautiful waterfront are. Afterwards, I drove further into downtown past the BC Place and Rogers Arena, home to both the BC Lions Canadian football team and the Vancouver Whitecaps soccer team and the Vancouver Canucks hockey team, respectively. These two large stadiums really welcome you to the city.

Before I went into the thick of the city, I stopped off at Sunset Beach, a nice beach where I was able to sit on some carved logs and watch the container ships come in.

Downtown Vancouver is nice, tall buildings just like any other big city. It is clean, lots of renovation and construction going on (which causes awful traffic), and bikes everywhere. The city is really pushing bike transportation; I even heard on the radio how they are pushing to have the center part of downtown Vancouver to be only foot and bike traffic by 2040.

I found a parking garage right next to the Vancouver Convention Center which is on the Vancouver Harbor. The CC had a great exhibit of the War of 1812. I didn't know that the Canadian and US boarder is the longest unguarded boarder in the world. The Harbor is really beautiful. Water planes taking off and landing right in front of me, with large lush green mountains in the background; a sight I could never get tired of.

To end the afternoon, I decided to rent a bike and explore the large Stanley Park. There is a great biking path that goes all the way around the park, so I decided to attempt to make it around before the sunset. About halfway around, I realized that I was not going to make it back before the store closed so I cut through the park. The park is really nice; deep forests right in downtown Vancouver overlooking the Harbor. Luckily, I made it back just in time and made my way back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment