Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 39: Kochi

We spent our last day in Kochi and our first real day on the tour visiting various sites around the town. I will be honest, I was not impressed. We visited St. Francis Church, a Jewish Synagogue in Jew Town (that's actually what it is called), and then the Dutch Palace, which was smaller than my college apartment room.

Nothing that we saw was impressive, I would have much preferred to see the town via a boat ride through the channels. Once we were done with the tour, it was much more enjoyable. We walked around the town and hung out on the beach; the Arabian Sea is warm, so it made for an enjoyable walk up and down the beach. While there is less trash here than up north, it is still here. The beaches are covered in trash. The beaches could be a huge tourist attraction, but most of the beach is covered in trash. The pathetic thing is, it would only take a day to clean up all the trash, get a tractor out there and pull a filter behind it. They did this once in a while on the beaches of Barcelona to help disperse the sand evenly throughout the beach and to clean up all the trash. No one seams to care here. By some candy, throw the trash on the beach. There are garbage bins everywhere that read "Use Me," and there is just trash all around them. Where we were eating dinner right on the channel there were people were just throwing trash into the ocean off the docks. It's sad. I don't know how all this is not a violation of some international pollution law or something.

Afterwards, we went to a Kathakali performance. It was pretty entertaining; all of the makeup, facial expressions, and dress really made the show.

Unfortunately, I have lost the device that allows me to upload my pictures from my camera onto my iPad, so until I get my hands on a laptop, I will be unable to upload any pictures except the ones from my iPhone. I will make sure to post a couple threads of all the missed pictures when I am able to upload from my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment