Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 26: Jaipur

We didn't really do much yesterday. Made a six hour bus ride to Jaipur from Delhi. The drive was awful; the roads were not maintained, so the whole ride was really bumpy and it was like riding on the last seat of a school bus. I got launched into the air a couple times. The majority of the way was poverty stricken areas. Small shanty like buildings and tents made up most of the houses we passed. I would see men washing in these big bins of water that was right next to the drinking water, talk about recycling. The streets and fields were also not shy of trash.

Jaipur is a relatively small city when compared to Delhi. While the streets are small, they are jam packed busy. Motor scooters, rickshaws, and tuk tuks rule the roads. There isn't much in the way of sidewalks, so the people wander the traffic; it is a mad house. Riding in a tuk tuk is an experience in and of itself in Jaipur! I took some good videos while in them.

After we got settled into our hotel, we took a little stroll through the streets. Our guide took us to a great rooftop spot where we could witness the city and the traffic from above. Also, Jaipur has a bunch of monkeys in the city. I would spot them casually walking telephone lines, or masses of them up on the roofs. While we were up on the rooftop, we got to see some monkeys up close and personal; but not too close, they looked kinda nasty and probably carried some sort of infection. Maybe if it was my last day on my trip around the world.

After we got down from the rooftops, we went to a Bollywood movie. Bolly is the traditional Indian dancing that you may of seen. It involves certain body movements, hand gestures, and foot stomps; however, the movie didn't really have too much of that. Bollywood has involved into an Indian version of Hollywood. Our movie involved India's CBI, Central Bureau of Investigation, dealing with confronting fraud. It was in Hindu and no English subtitles, so we had no clue what was actually going on. The cinematography was not that good, so I couldn't really take it seriously. Every time they would introduce themselves, showing their badge and saying "CBI," I would think of those cheesy CPI Security commercials when they would shout "CPI Security, leave the premises now!" Made me chuckle; can't wait to see the new CPI security commercials when I get home, I always got a good laugh. The audience at the movie was much more interesting than the movie itself; they were very interactive. I am not sure how it is outside the U.S., but back home, all cellphones are (generally) off and everyone is quiet the whole movie. During this movie, people were talking and on their phones the whole time. Whenever a pretty girl came on in the movie, everyone would whistle and shout. It was pretty funny. Also in the movie, there was a lot of men slapping other men, that was about as violent as it got. Not like the sprinklers of blood spraying from a severed limb in your typical Quentin Tarantino film.

Culture differences, whether they be big or small, are sprinkled over every aspect of life around the world. When I realized this in Spain my junior year while I was studying abroad, my curiosity to learn more was sparked and the wick hasn't burned out yet; not sure it ever will.

My iPad currently has zero memory left. I am attempting to load my pictures onto Picasa. I almost have all my photos from Egypt on there (500+). Once they are on there, I will be able to delete the pictures off my iPad (scary thought) and load new ones on here and share them with my followers. Also, once an album is full uploaded, I can share the link, so you can see more than the select few I post here or on Facebook. I will warn you, Egypt is out of order, but the pictures are amazing none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment