Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 23: Dubai

Friday was a great day in Dubai (can't imagine many days aren't). We started off with a boat tour of Dubai and the Dubai Marina. It was so cool to see all the buildings and coastline from the sea. I am really big into architecture, and every building in Dubai and Abu Dhabi is like an architectural master piece. The buildings somewhat reminded me of Las Vegas, minus the gambling, strippers, trashiness, and non-high class people. Once we got done seeing Old Dubai, which is like the business downtown area of Dubai (where the Burj Khalifa is), we drove past the World Islands. Not really anything going on there. There are only two houses, one on the US and Lebanon, but it was pretty cool that I got to travel the world while actually traveling the world; don't think many people get to say that.

As we were making our way across the Palm Jumeirah to the Dubai Marina, I spotted a very large boat. At first I seriously thought it was a small cruise ship, but then I came to learn that I was just the world's fifth largest yacht. No big deal in Dubai. When we got the the marina, I then learned that all the large buildings were residential. So many lavish looking apartments, truly makes me envious of any young person living and working in Dubai. It reminded me of Miami, minus the poverty, crime, and then on steroids.

After we finished the costal tour, I joined up with the company called Arabian Adventures that organized a safari in the Dubai Wildlife Conservation area. Since I was by myself, they put me in the car with five people that I had never met. I lucked out and it ended up being four girls from eastern Europe and one of them's boyfriend. I'll start off by saying I think their accent is sexy. They all worked for Emirates Air, which, from what they said, is not a bad gig. The company pays for your housing in Dubai, you can stay in whatever city you fly to for 24 hours, and they give you an allowance while you are there. Where do I sign up for that? The safari was pretty cool, our driver was going really fast through the dunes, which heightened the experience. They then had this whole set up out in the desert: food, alcohol, shisha, hentai tattoos, camel rides, belly dancers, and a falcon show. Getting to know the Europeans was cool as well, I haven't met anyone yet from the old Yugoslavia, so it was interesting to hear about the country's demise.

After we got done with the event, the girls wanted me to stay with them and go to the club later. Who would turn that down? I will admit, I was hesitant at first, I was dirty, wearing backpacking clothes, and had my day-pack on me, but who cares. The club we went to was amazing. It was at the base of the Palm Jumeirah and right on the beach. I kinda felt dumb walking around with a backpack when everyone was wearing pants and a button up, but the girls insisted. As soon as I got up to the bar, this guy came up to me and shook my hand. At first he thought that I was Ashton Kutcher, and after he told me that, some girl brushed by me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I can only imagine what it's really like for Ashton, he probably has to bat girls away with a stick. For now in my life, I can't help but soak in all that our similarities have to offer.

So, you didn't even have to read my post to know that Dubai is amazing, but it is truly more than amazing. Everything that you think you know about to Dubai, heighten that by ten and that's really Dubai. I'm not joking.

So, right now I'm am writing to you from my hotel in New Delhi. Quiet a change from Dubai, but not every place can be as close to perfection as Abu Dhabi and Dubai come. I have no clue what to expect in India. I have heard horror stories of how dirty it is, making Egypt look like nothing. Also the water and food quality is low and the cleanliness of the people are below par, so many visitors get sick easily; Delhi Belly. It is similar to Montezuma's revenge in Mexico, except worse. Can I make it through India in a month and come out alive?

Only time will tell and anything is possible.









































1 comment:

  1. I am way behind on keeping up with your trip but after writing this last 12 page paper and finishing a couple projects and two tests I have just enough time to look over one of your posts (i have another project im finshing due at 8 tomorrow) so Dubai was definitely it. I have to say it brought one hell of a smile to my face. Made me forget i have to go to school and work tomorrow. Seeing the architecture of the buildings in your pictures is great and I definitely hope to make it there one day (Either in my 160' yacht or landing on the tennis court of the Al Burj in my helicopter of course). Anyways dont get hooked on the hooka and ill be sure to check in on your trip more soon. Remeber dont get shit-faced with strangers cuz im gonna need both my kidneys so i cant give you one when you wake up with none haha.

    ReplyDelete