Saturday, March 30, 2013

Day 70: Cat Ba Island

We woke up to a rather gloomy morning. The sun was guarded by clouds and we were expecting rain throughout the day. We decided we should spend as much time at the beach before the rain storm hit the island. Our friend, Robbie, finally made it to the island in one piece right before we made it out to the beach.

When we got to the beach, we were upset to see zero backpackers there. The reason why we came out here on our own was because we thought that we could do what the guided tours do on our own. Cat Ba is used mainly as a hub to explore all the other small island and beaches. Cat Ba was close to a ghost town. None the less, we had a beach that was surrounded by the amazing rock cove to keep our spirits up. While the clouds were out, it was amazing to spend the afternoon on one of the islands that I had dreamt about as younger.

When I was in ninth grade, I discovered the best distraction, Stumbleupon. Stumbleupon allows you to insert many of your interests, like sports, government, cooking, beer, etc. and then you click "stumble" and it redirects you to a website that Stumbleupon thinks you will like. One of the interests the I had was traveling, and each place that amazed I wrote down and I told myself, "one day I will go here." Through out the past three months, I catch myself walking around the corner and saying, "holy sh**, I made it here." What an unrealistic day it was. Four good friends, two of which have been friends since they were kids, one that was made at the University of South Carolina, and the other just three days ago. We hung out on the beach until for the rest of the day then made our way to a place with wifi so that we could plan out our next couple days.

When we got to the bar, the group that we took the bus to Ha Long City with stumbled in. It was good to see the group and share a couple drinks with them till the night's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment