Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 106: Hong Kong

I started off the day by hanging out in the hostel's lounge again. There I spent the morning finishing up some research and went ahead and book a hostel in Shenzhen, China. I am excited to see what China has to offer outside of the big cities and I will get out of Shenzhen as quick as possible. This morning I was wearing my The Backpacker shirt, a local outdoor apparel outfitter in South Carolina, and some guy asked me where I got that shirt from. It turns out he is from Greenville, SC and went to J.L. Mann; he has also been living in China for the past four years and is going back to China tomorrow. He lives in western China so hopefully we will be able to meet back up in China down the road.

That afternoon, the guy from Greenville, Matt; a Brazilian guy; an Indian guy; and me ate lunch at a restaurant nearby. It was great to talk with a young person from India about my experiences of India; he thought I was crazy for swimming in the Ganges, he wouldn't even do that. It was an interesting meal that allowed me to learn more about the Indian and Chinese cultures.

After lunch, the Brazilian and the Indian had to leave to catch their flights back home. I stayed in the lounge and caught up with my other friend, Joseph, who had lived in China. We are planning to meet up in the next couple of days so we had to get a few things, logistically, straightened out before we both lost internet.

Later that afternoon, I headed out for the Peak. The Peak is a the peak of the mountain in Hong Kong where you have probably seen all of the beautiful pictures of Hong Kong's skyline during the day and night with water separating the island from the mainland. Of course, getting there was much more difficult than the lady at the hostel described it to be. The roads were not that easy to follow and the massive flow of pedestrians didn't make it any easier. I finally found the tram that takes you to the Peak. Unfortunately, by the time I made it to the mountain so serious fog was settling in and I was already unable to see the top of the mountain. Not a good start. As I made my way up the tram, I was already regretting buying my ticket. When I got to the top, I could barely see anything off the porch; buying another ticket and going all the way up to the top was not even an option. I was pretty upset that I didn't get to see the view, especially because today is my last day in Hong Kong and I wont have the time to come back up here tomorrow.

I headed back to the hostel, dropped off my stuff, and went back out in search of the restaurant where I ate the first night here. I couldn't find it, I was walking around my hostel for over an hour in search of it; and then, I finally found it. It was the most rewarding dinner I have had in a long time. Can't go wrong with cheap noodles and steak.

That night, I spent the time get my clothes all packed up and ready for tomorrow as well as write the rest of these blog posts. Tomorrow, I am off to China. Not really sure what the Communist country has in store for me. Only time will tell and anything is possible. 












No comments:

Post a Comment