Sunday, May 5, 2013

Day 103: Chiang Mai

The last day of roughing it in the jungles has finally arrived. We had a short hike after breakfast to the river where we would begin our white water rafting experience. We split into two boats: the French family in one and the Americans and German in the other. I can't tell you how relieved we all were that we got separated from them. I can only imagine how much BS I would have to put up with them on board, arguing about every stroke they had to take or rock we bumped into.

We started off with our river guide teaching a little something about how to paddle and what to do on the boat. He was quick to skip over all the safety tips that you should abide by while on the boat or in the river should you fall overboard. Luckily, there was nothing to worry about, the water level was extremely low. Unfortunately, I didn't take my waterproof camera, thinking it was going to be an intense ride, so I don't have any good action shots while on the river. Every time, we came to some fast looking rapids, we would get stuck or bounce around on the rocks below us. We didn't make it down one fast rapid without getting stuck. Now I see why they skipped the safety part. We eventually came to a bunch of bamboo huts on the side of the river where people were getting into the river and floating it with inter tubes. I couldn't imagine doing this; you would definitely have a sore butt. Further down the river, we saw a small snake catch and eat a fish, it was pretty impressive; another reason why I am glad that I wasn't on an inter tube. Right after that, we switched over to a long bamboo raft. The raft was really cool, we were floating on long bamboo poles about a half inch above the water. We got to pass a bunch of elephants bathing in the river; we were right next to them as they were blowing water all over themselves with their trunks. The bamboo ride was very short and we landed right by where we were to have lunch.

We all gathered round for our final moment together as we ate our meal. It was great to learn about my new friends and I can't wait to hear their progress in traveling and in their profession. We all got in a truck to be dropped off our at hostels and hotels and I would be taken back to the Palong Tribe to see the long necks.

The hour and a half long ride couldn't have ended any sooner, with the French family arguing and the little kid jumping around the whole time. I just wanted some piece and quiet! The family then started to complain about their hotel and how they were going to switch because the pool was out of service; they were staying in the nicest hotel in Chiang Mai and for only one more night.... They like to complain!

After we dropped them off, we arrived at my hostel. "I thought we were going to see the long necks?" "No, you get refund from hostel." Unsure of why there was an immediate change, I made our guide walk with me into the hostel and explain the situation and why I should be getting the refund, rather than just having me tell them. He said something to them in Thai, then walked out. I still don't really know why I couldn't be taken there; I think it was because he was drunk and just wanted to go home. Regardless, my hostel helped me straighten it out and had the guide come back and personally apologize and give me the refund. I got my refund, but I am still upset I didn't get to see them!

That night, I RESTED and booked my flight to Hong Kong. The next chapter of my travels are leading me to China. It's a big country and I have no clue what to expect. Only time will tell and anything is possible.























No comments:

Post a Comment