Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Istanbul Wrap Up

While I have the time, I want to go ahead and wrap up my time in Istanbul. Contrary to what I posted, Istanbul is a great city, it was just not at all what I expected. I was expecting it to be more traditionally old, but the city is very centered around tourists, so most things that I did, I was engulfed by tourists. The worst part about my visit was the weather, it really took away from my experience. It was in the low 30's F the entire time with mixed rain and snow. Even the people from Denmark, the UK, and Germany we complaining about the weather, so it's not because I am from the south. The city is covered with massive mosques that are completely different from the ones I experienced in Morocco, which is mainly due to the Ottoman empire and their architectural style and influence. There is an ancient Turkish calligraphy that is somewhat similar to Arabic, but looks much more challenging to comprehend. Both Turkey and Morocco have been a great introduction for me into the Islamic religion and Muslim culture. I believe that my thirst to learn more about it is what is keeping me going to other middle eastern countries.

The people in turkey are extremely kind, it was like being in the south. It was easy for us to ask a fellow Turk for directions and he or she would take the time to try to explain in English or go out of his or her way to guide us to our destination. After one of our meals (we had eaten and already paid), a Turkish waiter took me all the through a mall next door to an ATM. As soon as we got the the bottom of the escalator, he pointed them out and went back up the elevator. I was pretty amazed by his generosity.

Since Istanbul is a big city, it was expensive, so to be a backpacker is not easy. I really wanted to explore eastern Turkey, but the weather this week is really bad: it is snowing in the east and flooding in the south, not my luck, so I am almost forced to move on.

Of course I am biased, but I think that my hostel really made my experience here great. The people I was able to meet and the generosity of the staff was incredible. However, I think it has spoiled me, as it is the first hostel I have been in since my journey began where I am no my own. I don't think that my hostel in Amman, Jordan is going these the same.

I spent all of my time on the European side of Istanbul. From what I have heard, the Asian side is primarily residential. There were a couple things I wanted to see on the Asian side though, I just didn't have enough time, but it was enough time to spend another day here. I am very excited for my trip to Jordan, I foresee trips to the desert and an adventure or two on a camel. I would love to read a magazine while floating in the Dead Sea!

















No comments:

Post a Comment