Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 11: Istanbul

Today was my second day spent touring Istanbul. The weather was absolutely awful. It was a mix between rain, snow, and high winds. A recipe for disaster.

We first tried to visit the Blue Mosque, but we arrived and it was the beginning of midday prayer, so we were not allowed in. We then made our was to the spice bazaar, which was a little better than the grand bazaar. The Turkish delights were really tasty.

We spent most of the day hiding in restaurants, dodging the weather. We then took the tram to the Galata Tower, which is one of the oldest towers still standing built by the Byzantine Empire and was used as a light house. It is now a night club, classy.

We spent some time eating and enjoying the sights from the tower and then made our way back to our hostel. When we got back we joined some others there on a trip to a Turkish Bath. It was amazing and very relaxing. They fully wash you and massage you while you are pretty much naked. You are in a huge marble room, which really added to the experience, not to mention the guy who massaged me was humming a Turkish prayer, which helped me meditate. I then went to the pool in this small cave and then to a steam room and then sauna. I came out very sleepy and relaxed.

I joined up with friends from Germany, Switzerland, the UK, Denmark, and Australia for a great dinner. Now we are all drinking back at our hostel Cheers











2 comments:

  1. I'm arriving in Switzerland Sunday, I'm sure you won't be anywhere close, but if you are let me know, I can always look into flights for a few days somewhere.

    ReplyDelete