Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 5, 6, 7, and 8

I have not had much time or internet to post in a while, sorry for that.

Monday
The last day in Agadir, we had breakfast at our hostel with a few people from Milan, Italy. We loaded up the car and set off for Marrakesh. I drove, which was easy until we got into the city. Once in Marrakesh, it was Mayhem. I managed the roads fine, but it was very hectic, having to constantly watch out for other cars and pedestrians was intense.
I am glad we just did an afternoon in Marrakesh, it was a disgusting tourist trap. Every store owner would heckle you to death, even the guys selling oranges. There were two guys in the main square that had monkeys. I wanted to get a picture with one of them, then the other one came up and got in the photo. After that the monkeys jumped over to Youseff. They then both wanted to be paid for two photos and charged an outrageous amount. Even though Youseff is from Morocco, he was still treated as a tourist. Luckily he speaks Arabic, and we were able to get ourselves out of that monkey business. After lunch, we set off on the wrong drive to Casablanca.

Tuesday
My bags finally arrived Spent the majority of my time getting lost on the way to the airport. Took the wrong train about 45 minutes outside of Casablanca before the ticket guy came through and realized I was on the wrong train. My plane to surprise Youseff with grits fell through, as the can exploded in my bag, I saved what I could. n the afternoon, we went back to Old Medina and I bought a few things for myself, family, and my moms interior design shop back in Columbia, SC called Verve.

Wednesday
Spent the morning hanging out at Youseffs house and neighborhood while he worked. We spent the afternoon trying to pack up and ship the things that I bought back home, which, it turns out, is about twice as expensive as the things I bought.So we are trying to find a cheaper, reliable, Moroccan alternatives. Fingers crossed. Tonight begins a holiday in Morocco, Aid Miloud, during which alcohol is prohibited from being sold, so we turned to the black market. We ended up getting a 24 pack of beer, the size of the small Michelob Ultra cans, for 75 USD, talk about expensive beer.

Thursday
I hung out at Youseffs place while he worked. We came back into the city to much calmer streets because of the holiday. We have just been hanging out in Casa taking it easy. Tomorrow, I will be off to Istanbul, Turkey. Not sure what to expect, but I have heard amazing things.

I will load pictures tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment